From Scrapbook to Canvas:
Art Materials, Metaphors and Imagination
3rd to 6th of October 2019 FULL
30th of April to 3rd of May 2020 OPEN
In this hands-on workshop participants will explore in depth the inspirational and creative potentials of art materials /images, techniques, textures, objects and materials of all kinds/ and how art materials talk to us through metaphors guiding our artistic process.
The workshop combines scrapbooking, collage, assemblage, mixed techniques on paper, on hard surface and on canvas with guided creation exercises, embodied explorations, creative writing and group sharing to inspire personal studio time.
It is ideal for students who wish to explore their inner world of images and symbols as a starting point for hands-on visual creation, storytelling and creative writing.
In this process you will learn or improve your existing skills to:
- Observe the inherent qualities of art materials and use them most creatively
- Explore conscious and unconscious symbolic language, dream images and imagination
- Embrace chance, randomness to tap into unexpected sources of inspiration, creative synchronicity and develop a new visual language.
- Build up and shape layers with collage, assemblages, painting and other mixed techniques on paper, canvas and hard surface using a selection of tools and techniques
- Use creative writing and storytelling to create a dialogue with the art materials and your artworks
- Surrender to the emerging process of your creation
- Work with the complementary creative forces of chaos and order, Eros and the creative impulses, de-constructing and re-constructing
- Dialogue with your inner critic and other inner voices
- Deepen your phenomenological observation of art materials, of the surface of your artworks and your experiential process
- Harvest meaningful insights from your creative process and transfer them into the context of your life
This workshop takes place in my art studio with a group of only 5 participants. Each participant has a working area with easel, table and floor space in order to create. The program is aimed for adults interested in expressive and surrealist contemporary art making and is designed to be inspiring for skilled artists as well as beginners. All basic art materials are provided, if possible bring a selection of your own images, photos, postcards ... to weave your personal history into your creation.